Sunday, June 9, 2013

6 oz. of Trail Magic

I wanted to create a small gift package for the Thru Hikers of the Appalachian Trail. At the time, I was learning how to build my own alcohol stoves. So I thought I could provide a package that would give a hiker one extra meal and/or beverage that they didn't have calculated between re-supplies.

All cans, containers and items were collected from friends, family and co-workers. Condiments we collected from vacation and business trips, restraunt visits, etc. In all, purchased goods for the project only totalled $2.73 per package. A small price to pay for the amount of joy I hope to provide to some weary treckers.

I would like to thank EVERYONE who thought to collect and deliver these recyclable products for me to work with! Without your help I could have never finished this project in time to intercept the thru hikers.

I took the YouTube academy of stove building. I also ordered stoves from the likes of Tinny at MBDC and Zelph Stoves to try and reverse engineer what they had done. I found time after work, in the early morning hours, on weekends and such to build one stove at a time over a couple month period.

The finished stove. At a later point I began building stoves out of the V8 Fusion cans. They use a heavier gauge aluminum and seem to operate better and are more durable. Still, the Red Bull stove work just the same.
Ok... the "sales pitch" portion. I individually boil tested each stove before placing it in the completed pile. I did not want to deliver a package with a possible fire hazard or defective unit. I used 2 cups of 70-ish degree water in either the 12cm or 10 cm IMUSA Pot. One oz. of fuel brought the water to the rolling boil you see above in anywhere between 7 to 10 minutes. All boils had fuel to spare at the end.
I had bought a new scale and played around with different package items. I had just begun to cut weight and head down the "gram weenie" trail in my gear selection, so it helped in my learning process. In all, I could not pack more than 8 oz of goods reasonably within the container. I settled for the 6 oz package for its items and for hopes that the hikers wouldn't scoff at the idea of adding weight to their already taxing burden.
I included a short message to insert into the package. I wanted the hiker to know where this package came from and what it was all about. I also thought, over the duration of the  project, that if they enjoyed the stove and items, then hopefully they would share that experience in word and/or picture form of the journey.
Project Complete!
It has taken some time, but it has been worth every step. My step-daughter and I finally completed the packages and are ready to deliver them next weekend.
Each package has the items pictured above:

(1) Recycled Parmesan Cheese Container
(1) DIY Alcohol Stove
(2 0z) of Fuel (stored in 5 hr energy container)
(2) Match Books
(2) Starbucks Coffee Packs
(2) KoolAid Drink Packs
(1) Wet Nap
(1) Condiment Package (sugar, creamer, stirrer, etc.)
(2) Salt & (2) Pepper packets
(1) pack of Orbit Gum
(1) pack of 2 Colgate Wisp toothbrushes

In all, this has been a fun project and I can see creating similar packages for hikers in the future. I hope this gift of trail magic brings joy to those who receive it, and it sparks a want for others to do a simple act of random kindness for their fellow hikers and campers. I wish everyone a pleasant trip to the Great Outdoors!

ToHa




No comments:

Post a Comment