Saturday, June 29, 2013

I made it to the AT. I finally packed up the Trail Magic Packages and headed in to intercept passing thru hikers. I took my hammock and traveled along the AT to the Byrd's Nest #3 overnight hut. The day was perfect and had some stunning views along the trail.

I made my way to the shelter and had a bit of a snack. I hung my hammock off at the camping area and proceeded to clean the hut for the night's hikers that might stop and rest for the evening. I then took a leisurely hang and enjoyed the weather.

Later on I unpacked the Magic Packages and assembled them for their pick-up. I filled in the registry book and left a message for the next 10 thru hikers to help themselves to a container of treats.
Shortly after reading the previously sketched entries, and adding one of my own, a couple of thru hikers made it into the shelter. They had started their trek mid March in Georgia and were on the six month pace to finish in Maine. They were followed by a second couple of hikers and a large German Sheppard. They all took a rest and chatted about their trip thus far. The original pair had mentioned they saw their first bear siting not more than a mile back on the trail. The same one I had traveled to get to the hut.




These thru hikers then collected their packages and again proceeded down the trail to get a few more miles in for the day. I then took the remaining packages and left them neatly along with the registry book on the fire place mantle. Hoping the next batch of hikers would find them and put their contents to good use.
Project delivered, now hopefully in the months to come, I might receive word and pics of their journey after we parted ways. The AT is a truly beautiful experience to be had!

No comments:

Post a Comment